The SBA’s (US Small Business Administration) Small Business Learning Center is full of amazing training files. It has online training courses, videos, and chats. I found the online course for How to Write a Business Plan to be extremely helpful.
SBA also has a series of business planning tutorial videos by Tim Berry. Tim Berry is the Founder and Chairman of Palo Alto Software and bplans.com. He is the author of business plan software Business Plan Pro and www.liveplan.com and books including The Plan As You Go Business Plan, published by Entrepreneur Press, 2008.
Another item on SBA’s site that I like is Creating a Business Plan, which is found under Starting a Business in the Starting & Managing a Business section. There is a link to the SBA’s Build Your Business Plan tool – a step-by-step guide to help you create your business plan.
SCORE has some Templates and Tools that will serve you well. There are one or two, of course, related to Business Plans. For example, here are 5 Tips on Creating a Great Business Plan, brought to you by SCORE Mentors:
- Take the long view and do long-term planning. Map out where you want to be five years from now and how you plan to get there.
- Write the plan yourself. You will learn more about your business by doing so.
- Think of your plan as a living document. Review it regularly to make sure you are on track or to adjust it to market changes.
- Share the plan with others who can help you get where you want to go—such as lenders, key employees and advisors.
- Understand that you might pay a price in the short run to obtain long-term business growth and health.
Next time we will talk about how to obtain business licenses and permits.